Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Arts and Sciences in the Middle Ages

One of the great things about large SCA Events is that you get to see displays of different things that artisans have done. There are some beautiful things being made and I love to see not only the variety, but the level of craftsmanship. Since I have been learning leather working, I was especially impressed with the work of this one person. I have no idea who it is since there was no label, but the work is fantastic. Clearly someone to emulate!
So many fabulous leather items, bottom right are tiny dragons!
This is a book similar to what they used in the Middle Ages, it can be worn folded over the belt.


This leather covered box inspires me! This is so beautiful.

There were also beautiful Illuminations, a Scribal art done in the style of the Middle Ages. Full of symbols depicting the abilities or interests of the recipient, these are Awards given to deserving Gentles in the SCA. The higher the Award, the more elaborate the scroll. These scrolls are for the highest Award given in each of two categories, arts (Laurel) and service (Pelican). The level of skill and detail are impressive.
Order of the Laurel scroll by Mistress Amy Marie MacCormack
Pelican Scroll by Dame Angele Plaisance, Caid

I also happened by a class on silk banner painting. It was interesting to me to see the similarities as well as the differences in methods. I had a great chat with the artist who had also lived in Wyewood years ago.  
Interesting way to stretch the silk, with rubber bands and pins.
The whole design is outlined in resist, and she is painting in the dye with a brush.
Clearly the Arts and Sciences (A&S) is an area of avid interest for me in the SCA. This is just a sampling of the many varied skills I have seen both here and my home Kingdom of An Tir. The re-creation of things once made in the Middle Ages and keeping alive techniques, skills and knowledge our forefathers once had is something that gives me a feeling of being in touch with my forefathers. History coming alive is fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment