Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Arriving at Estrella War XXXI


Arriving at Estrella War

In the Known World of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), we live in the Kingdomof An Tir and the Barony of Wyewood. We have traveled far to the Kingdom ofAtenveldt to attend Estrella War XXXI

Step back in time with us to the Middle Ages, where you will encounter encampments evoking the time period with canvas pavilions, Viking wedges, fire pits and banner. Strolling around you will pass Knights and Squires in their fighting armor, Kings, Queens and Barons with their crowns and finery. Merchants peddling their wares of crockery, cloth, yarns, armor, bows and arrows, and many more things to delight the eye and lighten the money bag.
     In the evening, by the campfire glow good gentles gather to tell stories, share music, food and drink. The sound of drums and laughter pervades the cool evening air. Although pavilions and tents are close together, there is a general feeling of comradery and sharing. These are the sights and sounds of the Current Middle Ages, where ordinary people ‘live’ for a weekend or a week the life of simplicity and chivalry typical of the Middle Ages.
     We had visitors who came to see what it was like for the day, people we had met in Yuma. It was fun to show them around and tell them about the things we like to do at an Event. Usually we would be at the Archery Range sending our pointed missiles into the target, but we felt no need to become that focused as we relaxed, shopped and wandered around.
I found Leticia in a pottery merchant booth--a transplanted Wyewoodian.
     We enjoy the luxury of the “Queen Mary”-as our motorhome has been dubbed--and don’t mind the walk to see the period tents and pavilions, the banners and decorations. Although I love seeing the inventive ways that people have come up with to accomplish fabulous meals in a camp kitchen and the medieval ambiance, I prefer mine. Not to mention having my own bathroom!
     Our week at Estrella War didn’t start out nearly as well as it ended. In all of our travels, the Tuesday we arrived was the worst day on the road we had had yet. Starting with that moment, when I realized that our directions were inadequate and I had missed the exit. I was stuck on a freeway heading too far North, wondering where I could pull off the road in a 38’ rig to figure out where I was compared to where I wanted to be. It was aggravating, but I got over it. When we arrived, checking in at Gate went smoothly and I thought that the hour extra travel wasn’t so terrible after all.
Lord Gervais, HL Matillis atte hethe.
     But then after we parked we found the Inverter had died. Not good. I use a CPAP which requires that particular piece of equipment. But, wait! We had a backup. Whew! Then the backup died just as we were getting ready for bed. I was hopeful (despite what I knew to be true about my sleep apnea) that I would get a little sleep anyway. At 4:00 am I gave up and said we were going to start the generator or I was going to a hotel! Grrrrrr. Just as I was about to finally drop off to sleep an hour later, the generator quit! No idea why, it worked perfectly when we started it later. I gave up. But when my neighbor started up his generator at 7:30 am, I was over there in a flash begging some power so I could get some sleep! Fortified with 1-1/2 hours of sleep I went off to Merchants Row while Jerry went into Mesa to buy a new inverter. By 6:00pm he had it installed and I was again able to get some sleep. YAY! I function so much better with sleep.

Lord Gervais Blakglove and Lady Matillis atte hethe in front of the Queen Mary.
     












More happenings to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment