Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Friday, November 2, 2018

Foodie Friday: Favorite Morning Tea

My morning drink. Ah!
       Recently I was in a group setting with my morning tea along. Someone asked what it was. I explained that it was my morning tea; not actually a tea but an infusion of herbs I consider my herbal multivitamin. She wanted to know what I put it in and I thought this would be a good blog post. I like being able to get my nutrients from foods whenever possible. Herbs are more nutrient dense than many foods and an infusion is a great way to get those nutrients. Different herbs do different things, so it's nice to have a mix.
      I first started doing just nettle and peppermint first thing in the morning. A very nurturing and friendly start to the day. Then I read in a herbal Facebook group what some others were drinking and decided I wanted to up my game a bit! I had started with just tea bags, one each of nettle and peppermint. Then I started to do loose leaf, which is more economical. Then I added chopped stevia leaf, which is much better for you than the extract. Whenever you can get something in its whole form, you are getting a superior version as far as how your body uses it.
Pouring in 1/4 cup of herbs.
      By doing this recipe in units instead of cups, it's easier to make whatever quantity you prefer. I usually use a 1/2 cup measure, so I measure out 2 of nettle, 1 or peppermint, and so on. When it comes to the 3/4 of stevia, I just make my best estimate. My herbs are all dried and I either get them locally when I'm in the Olympia area, or I order them from Mountain Rose Herbs. Those marked "optional" I use sometimes. Those marked "driver" are important to include since they help the body assimilate the other herbs.

2 nettle
1 peppermint   (driver)
1 red raspberry leaf
1 dandelion leaf
1 horsetail
1 oatstraw
1 alfalfa
1 lemon grass
3/4 stevia leaf (not ground)
1/2 habiscus (optional)
1/2 orange peel (optional, driver)

Soaking overnight. 
Straining the herbs in the a.m.
       I mix this all up in a big bowl, then once it's stirred really well I put in into a container. I scoop out 1/4 cup into a jar before I go to bed and pour hot, but not boiling, water in the jar. I put a lid on it and in the morning I use a small strainer to strain out the leaves. Sometimes I top off my drinking jar with hot water to warm it up. This is so yummy and body friendly. I love to start my day with this.
      If you want to know how each herb is used, what its benefits are, you can look them up pretty easily. Here is one of many resources:  Herbie's Herbs. If you click on the individual herb, it takes you to a page that explains the herb and allows you to purchase it as well. I actually like to buy mine from Mountain Rose Herbs and they also have explanations, although perhaps not as much detail. It's always good to check more than one resource to get a more rounded view.



No comments:

Post a Comment