Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Travel Tuesday "On The Road Again"

Departure Day!
My Featherweight set up in the rig.
    To most people it's known as Halloween. Yeah, clearly we're not 'most people'! Pulling out of Olympia was a bit harder this year since we've made so many good friends here. In Canby, OR, we parked at our friend's place.  Last year while parked there, there were no trick-or-treaters all night, but this year they ran out of candy! Fortunately, they ran out of kids at the same time. Or maybe turning off the lights helped....!
     We went on to Albany the next day to park in front of my sister Sue's house where she taught me all the steps to oiling my Featherweight Singer Sewing Machine. I haven't used it a whole lot, but it did need the oil and I was glad to get that done and learn of all the places the oil goes. Modern machines make this unnecessary, but I love the dependability of the vintage machine! Plus they're cute.
Hobbit House designed and built by my nephew-in-law.
    My other sister, Judy,  came on Saturday morning and we had a gab-fest catching up on everything. I played my songs for them and we sang them together which was a huge treat for me! Love those harmonies, love singing with my sisters. Blessing on blessing.

    There are only a couple of places we can park a rig this size, but my niece's driveway is a pretty nice landing pad and we moved there on Saturday. From there we were able to visit my other niece next door, and drive up to Salem to visit other members of the family. On Sunday morning we had a mini family reunion at Gateway Foursquare Church in South Salem. It was a great service and fun to share with a good dozen family members, 3 of which were littles previously not seen in the flesh. Love Facebook for helping me keep up!
     We got to see my Dad on Monday. As soon as he saw us he said "You've just made my day!", a very fun start to the visit. Having my brother Dave join us made it even better. He had some questions for Dad and pictures of his 'project house' and the ladder firetruck he bought off Craigslist. He got it for dealing with 4th story siding, also helpful for trimming trees. It was good to see that my brother is doing well and staying stable and that Dad is better than the last time I saw him. At 92, he's doing pretty good!
Jerry wearing one of Dad's "Hooton Electric" hats from when he had that business.
    Wednesday we said our goodbyes and headed out. We did a fairly short hop to Canyonville, OR  where we stayed at the Rest Area overnight. We got up early to head over the Siskyous. It was such a beautiful drive and by 10am we were seeing blue sky after the fog had lifted. No snow, yet, but there was plenty of frost in the passes. We arrived in the early afternoon in Redding, CA where we plan to spend the next 4 days attending different services at Bethel Church. More about that adventure later. We were glad to be north of the big fires with a north wind keeping the air fresh. But our hearts went out to those who lost everything and to the whole town of Paradise that is now anything but. The town of Redding knows very well what they are going through and plans for help were under way.



No comments:

Post a Comment