Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Southward, Ho!

After a mere two weeks, we took off for parts south on Valentine's Day. First overnight stop, Turner, OR where my Dad lives. We had reserved a spot at the Oregon Christian Convention grounds where they have about 100 RV sites. We had planned to get there around 3 or 4pm, but plans have a way of getting changed.

Just north of Kelso, we were happily going along when a trucker tooted his horn at us, catching up to us he frantically was pointing. I looked over at Jerry who was driving and a lady in a van on the other side was also pointing! Clearly, something was amiss, so we found a wide enough spot to pull over. Since we had felt nothing, could see nothing, we had no idea until we got out and saw the poor tire on the truck. What a shock! Having never had to change a flat tire on the truck, it involved getting the Owner's Manual out, but turned out to be pretty straight forward. About an hour later, we were off again with our spare.
The tearing apart tire didn't do good things to the fender or mud flap!

Who knew they would come apart like this?

The spare is on and pictures must be taken of this unbelievable sight.
Even though this spare hasn't seen the light of day for years, it was road-worthy enough to get us to Roseburg (a couple of days later) where we got it replaced at Big O Tires.

After difficulties getting gas, we finally arrived in Turner about 7:45. My brother had been waiting for our arrival but went over to visit with Dad until we got there. He joined us and helped us get parked and I had just finished cooking dinner (finally!) when I got a call from Dad saying "Where are you? I've been waiting for you." Well, Dave and I grabbed our grub and dashes the 3 blocks over there to see him and we had a lovely visit. I expected him to have gone to bed already, but apparently a visit from me rates a late night. 

The next morning after his Medical Review with the staff at Turner Retirement Homes, my sisters and I had a sing-a-long with Dad. Great fun, good memories. It's always fun to sing with my family. We ate lunch with him and then helped him get settled for a nap. He is so much weaker than before, and it saddens me to know that he won't be with us for much longer.
Uplifting music, great harmonies. Sue at the piano, Judy standing behind Dad looking on at the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment