Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Where did my Comfort Zone go?

    We've been home for a week, now. It still feels weird.
    When we first walked into the house after 96 days of being on the road, it all looked the same as when we left it. There was our house as usual, all our usual stuff. The same. But....we are not. It is not the same feeling of 'coming home', of slipping back into a comfort zone, a familiar routine. My comfort zone has clearly moved! I found it slightly melancholy to unload the RV, turn off the fridge, 'move' back into the house.
   Oh I enjoy the unlimited hot water, the larger fridge, the bigger kitchen. It just doesn't feel as 'at home' as it once did. It feels like luxury. There were very few things left behind that I missed. Do I really need all of this stuff? Clearly not, since we have done without it for over 3 months. I find myself almost resenting most of it. It demands that I do something with it, if only to dust it. It took me less than a day to start the give-away box, and since it is full, I need to find another...and another!
   There's something about being in a smaller space that changes your perception of stuff and the 'need' hierarchy. We did fine with what we had, missed very few things we left behind, and now look forward to freeing ourselves from the 'Tyranny of Stuff' whether we keep the house or not. For now we are content to keep this as our summer home, our home base.
   I am much more aware of being careful of resources; electricity, water, disposal, space, energy, money. When living in a small space and especially without any hook-ups, one is forced to make the most of what you have. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from doing without, or with less, or for longer. It's empowering to make those choices that save power, water, money; a sense of adventure when you rise to meet the challenge; how long can I go without____? How can I do this with less ___?  Living life on the edge!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment