Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Friday, January 16, 2015

On to Quartzsite

The white dots are hundreds of RVs camped.
Our first glimpse of RVs parked in the desert en masse.
Jerry: I was a little sad to leave the AGM boondocking area, as I've grown to love it here, but the next event is about to start. Every year at this time, Quartzsite Arizona is host to "the world's largest gathering of RVs and RVers". There are numerous events there, but the main RV draw is the Sports, Vacation, and RV Show (Jan 17-25 this year). So we pulled up jacks and hit the road again, leaving California behind and heading into Arizona. Linda drove the truck to do some shopping in Yuma, and I drove the motorhome to Yuma also, with the mission of finding a place to dump tanks, get water and gas. Avoiding the Chevron that charges $20 to dump (robbery), I find a 76 station where it's free. I pull in behind an older motorhome with a Michigan license plate saying "WWII Vet" and strike up a conversation with this older gent. He turns out to be a very nice guy and says he and his wife have been snowbirding to the southwest for 20 years. I tell him I'm on my first snowbird trip and he gives me some good tips, including a free place to stay in Yuma that he uses. The fellowship among RVers, particularly in the southwest, is a real bonus to the lifestyle.      So we hitch the truck back up, and head north on 95 toward Quartzsite. On the way north, everyone is required to stop at a Border Patrol checkpoint. They inquire if it's just the two of us and then wave us on (guess we don't look the type to be transporting illegals). We are now seeing large Saguaro cactus and you know you're REALLY in Arizona now. 
Sunset in "Boomerville"
First night of "Boomerville", catching the sunset.
     Getting close to Quartzsite, we start getting views of hundreds and thousands of RVs spread out over the desert! It's pretty amazing! (in the first pic, all those white objects are RVs). We eventually leave the pavement and drive down a dirt road to join our group of Boomers that will be 50-100 RVs. We get parked and set up in time to notice an AMAZING sunset and I go up on the roof to tilt two of my solar panels up and take pictures while I'm up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment