Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Saturday, January 16, 2016

A little art project

the design
   While at Jojoba, Diana inspired me with her stained glass painting on her rig's door window. I remarked that I would like to do that, and she generously gave me her paints and all the extras that she had picked up at a garage sale to play with. She said she'd get them from me at Quartzsite, so I had a deadline!
  I had plenty of time to work on my project while we were at Ehrenberg and worked on it a little every day. First I did some research on stained glass designs as well as techniques for using these Gallery Glass paints. Jerry really wanted a hummingbird, so I looked at a lot over pictures over a couple of days and finally came up with the design elements I most wanted and set to work. He was very pleased with the final design, so I did a trial run using a part of the design to get a feel for the paints. When dry it makes a kind of window sticky and can be carefully pealed off.  I was very pleased with the results and started in on the 'real thing'!
   Once nice feature is that you can do your leading paint line on the 'leading sheet' and then fill in the colored areas and let it dry, then peel it off and put it on the window. That's how I did my test one. For the large window, I did large portions of the design on the leading sheet, then when it came time to put it on the window, I removed the window and finished the design on the table. A cardboard piece had to be put in the window since it took all night to dry. But when I got it put back in, I was really happy with the results! Unfortunately, I ran out of paint, so I will have to get more and finish it, but it is at a stage where I can finish the window in place. Although it's a bit awkward to balance on the top step, holding the door with my foot and trying not to lean on the screen door!


making the test design
my test window sticky!

the leading for the final project

Mostly done. The white areas are now dried to clear and it is still on the table do dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment