Sign up to get emails on new blog posts

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Chili Cook-off Soup


Potlucks are always a challenge for someone with food issues. I have learned over the years to bypass much of what is there, scanning for veggies, salad without dressing or something that looks safe. Even then I am cautious. Much easier and safer for me (and my microbiome friends) to just take my own food and focus on being social.
So when the Annual Boomerville Chili Cook-off happened, I just made my chicken soup and took it, pot and all, with me to the potluck. I debated whether to put it on the table or not, but finally decided it would be easier to dish out that way. Since the potluck had already started when I got there, I wasn’t really expecting anyone to be wanting any. Not only were there many pots of chili, but also all kinds of other potluck things to enjoy. But then a couple of friends found out my ‘bone broth soup” was there, they made a beeline for it! There was only a small bowl of it left. Who knew? I'm happy that they enjoyed some good gut-healing soup. Today, one of them came up and said, “I want the recipe for that soup. It was so good!”.
Recipe? What, recipe? You mean I have to write this down? When I make soup and stir fry and a number of dishes, I just put in a bit of this and a little of that, whatever I have on hand. I base what I cook and eat on foods that will heal the gut, and this kind of soup is great for that. Bone broth made from beef, chicken or fish bones--and meat--is full of good things that heal the gut. This link here goes to a website that tells you all the benefits of bone broth. Once you read up on that, you will really be motivated to include this in your diet!
So here is what I think I made (quantities are approximate!):
Drumstick Bone broth soup
5-6 organic chicken drumsticks
1/4 head cabbage shredded, organic
1 cup Broccoli Slaw, organic
1 leek sliced
1 pkg frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix
1 yellow pepper chopped (has some heat to it, not a bell pepper)
1/2 TBSP celtic sea salt
1 tsp pepper, freshly ground
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar (I forgot this, but usually add it to help pull nutrients from the bones)
water to nearly cover it all

This gets brought to a boil, the pressure cooker lid put on, brought up to where it gets a little bit of pressure, then taken off and wrapped in layers of wool blankets and it sits for 4-6 hours. When we're ready to eat dinner, it's all ready for us! I especially love to do this on traveling day. If you are not traveling in an RV and want to make this, just use a crockpot if you have one. I put into my soups whatever veggies I have at hand. It changes with every batch, but there are some constants: bones, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, water and lots of veggies!

the tables of food in the lee of a couple of rig to block the wind
 

No comments:

Post a Comment